Cafcass advertises for family justice researchers to join new research advisory committee
Cafcass is looking for external academic researchers with significant experience in family justice research to join its new Research Advisory Committee.
The Committee is responsible for making decisions on and overseeing external and internal research, ensuring that the research we support helps to inform practice developments and the wider family justice system. Researchers work with Cafcass staff, children and families that consent to participation in interviews and surveys, or case-related data.
The new committee members will be joining at an exciting time, as earlier this year Cafcass case file data was transferred to the Secure Anonymised Information Linkage (SAIL) Databank and the fully anonymised data is available for researchers to access.
The Databank holds high-level anonymised data on Cafcass and Cafcass Cymru cases. Sharing this data is part of Cafcass’ strategy to exchange knowledge and learning with key partners, so that there is greater understanding of family justice issues and the diverse needs of children and families in family court proceedings.
Principal responsibilities for Committee members include:
- Offering technical advice and quality assurance when considering internal and external research applications looking to access Cafcass and Cafcass Cymru resources
- Providing independent assurance for Cafcass and Cafcass Cymru for research applications approved through the SAIL Databank.
- Supporting Cafcass and Cafcass Cymru in the delivery and publication of studies which assist in building up a body of evidence about the needs and experiences of children and families involved in the family justice system
- Advising on technical and strategic developments in external research and their implications for Cafcass and Cafcass Cymru’s practice and commissioned services.
- Providing technical and methodological advice and expertise as required on internal research and analysis, including projects conducted in collaboration with external partners.
- Updating the Performance and Quality Committee with an account of its work on a bi-annual basis.
- Ensuring the Research Governance Framework is up to date and aligned with organisational priorities.
How to apply
A link to the job advert can be found here.
To apply, please submit your CV, along with a brief covering statement on what you can offer to the Committee, to Saif Ullah, Senior Research and Evaluation Manager, at [email protected] If you would like to informally discuss the role prior to applying, please get in touch.
The closing date for applications is 5pm on Friday 8 May 2020. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an interview commencing mid-late May 2020.
For further information about Cafcass research and our data, please visit our research and data page.