Resources for parents and carers
On this page you will find information, resources and links to organisations that could help with a range of different topics. Click the titles to see more.
- Adoption Contact Register – information about contact between people who have been adopted and their birth relatives
- After Adoption – information about adoption
- Adoption following a placement order
- British Association of Adoption and Fostering – help and advice about adoption
- Children relinquished for adoption
- Natural Parents Network – support for parents in adoption
- Partner adoption
- Potential adoptors
Cafcass equivalents in other countries
Republic of Ireland
- Children’s Hearings department of the Scottish Executive
- Scottish Administration’s Children’s Reporter Website
Changing a child’s name
- Gov.uk – information on changing a child’s name and parental responsibility
Counselling and therapy
- British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy – provides information about counselling and psychotherapy
- Life Coach Directory – a support network of UK life coaches
- Marriage Care – relationship counselling and support
- Relate – advice about relationships
Divorce and separation
Family mediation services
- Ministry of Justice – The Ministry of Justice website has a directory of accredited mediation providers in your area
Feedback and complaints
- Ministry of Justice – advice and information on the family justice system
- Department of Health – information on health related issues and adult social care
- Gov.uk – access to all government sites
- Department for Education – information about children and families, young people, parents, education and skills
- Ofsted – the organisation in charge of all Cafcass inspections
- Ask the Experts: 10 tips for parents about children and separation
- The Association for Shared Parenting – provides support for parents after separation or divorce
- Families Need Fathers – information and support for parents of either sex
- Family Rights Group – advice and support for families whose children are involved with social services. Family Rights Group also has advice for women experiencing domestic violence when social services are involved in their family.
- Fatherhood Institute – the National Information Centre on Fatherhood.
- Gingerbread – support for lone parents.
- Grandparents Association – support for grandparents.
- MATCH – non-judgemental emotional support for all mothers living apart from their children.
- NFPI – National Family and Parenting Institute – support for parents.
- Natural Parents Network – support for parents in adoption.
- Parenting Plan PDF
- Relate – Family life and parenting – advice and free online counselling for parents concerned about their teenagers getting into serious trouble.
- Rule 16.4 cases
- Separated Parents Information Programme
Legal rights and advice
- Coram Children’s Legal Centre – advice on child and family law
- Children’s Rights Alliance – human rights for children
- Child Rights Information Network – advice on children’s rights
- International abduction
- The Law Society – advice on the law, and help with obtaining a solicitor
- Legal Services Commission – information on legal matters and help with legal costs
- Resolution – advice on finding a solicitor
After Cafcass involvement - services and organisations that could help
- After the surrogacy process factsheet
- Parental Orders factsheet
- Parental Order Reporter factsheet
- Gov.uk – information about surrogacy in the UK
- HFEA – information about surrogacy from the government’s independent regulator on fertility
- Stonewall – advice for same sex couples
- Surrogacy UK – support for UK surrogacy arrangements
- Brilliant Beginnings – support for UK surrogacy arrangements
- Childlessness Overcome Through Surrogacy – support for UK surrogacy arrangements
Cafcass is not responsible for the contents or reliability of the linked websites and does not necessarily endorse the views expressed within them. Listing shall not be taken as endorsement of any kind. Cafcass cannot guarantee that these links will work all of the time and has no control over the availability of linked pages.